SALARY RANGE: $35.08 - $42.03 per hour (8 Step Range)
Position Open Until Filled – First Resume Review October 7, 2020
Assigned to the City’s Finance Department, the Senior Accountant reports to the Manager of Administrative Services. This employee is responsible for monitoring the City’s revenue and budget processes, preparation of financial reports to include an overview of monthly revenues and expenditures, bank reconciliation, utility billing, and payroll/benefits management.
This employee must maintain a cooperative and professional relationship with all city employees, community members, vendors, management representatives, and elected officials. All employees are to work with a high degree of professionalism when performing their job duties per the City’s Guiding Principles and Personnel Policies.
This position works a Monday-Friday, 8:00 A.M. primarily to 5:00 P.M. schedule. On occasion, the employee will present financial reports during City Council meetings, which take place twice a month during the evening. The position is represented by the La Center Police Officers Association Civil chapter.
The City of La Center is a small community of 3,500+ residents located 18 miles north of Vancouver (WA).
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Accountant functions include:
- Responsible for processing and managing the City’s financial transactions, records, statements, and reports in compliance with the accounting principles of Washington State’s Budgeting, Accounting, and Reporting Systems (BARS)
- Coordinate the development of the City’s annual budget processes and development for by the Mayor and City Council
- Develop accounting systems, reporting structures, internal controls, and financial reports that satisfy internal needs and the requirements of a wide range of regulatory agencies (L&I, DRS, DOR). Serve as the internal auditor of all financial reports, computerized accounting journals, and ledgers per policies and procedures
- Design and implement solutions, in conjunction with members of the Senior Leadership Team, to address and resolve on-going revenue and budget challenges
- Ensure the integrity of the general ledger and subsidiary accounting systems are maintained, and all fund accounting requirements comply with the restricted and non-restricted revenue sources
- Monitor the activities and progression of the City’s investment portfolio, prepare an overview of the investments and the recommendations of the third party advisors for consideration and action by the Manager of Administrative Services and elected officials
- Design and prepare financial analyses, projections, reports, policies and procedures, and preparation for a wide range of financial statements
- Coordinate with other departments to analyze and complete grant fund documentation and invoices are completed and submitted to ensure timely fund reimbursements
- Research legal materials relevant to accounting problems and solutions.
- Perform statistical computations and financial analyses, prepares financial reports, computerized accounting journal entries (using Springbrook)
- Evaluate transactions and budgets; analyze internal controls and correct errors, implement controls to comply with audit recommendations and internal control standards and policies
- Research and maintain a working knowledge of GAAP, BARS, and Washington State Cash-Based Accounting requirements as well as federal, state, and City regulations relevant to purchasing, accounting, and finance.
- Monitor, prepare, and process complex reconciliations (i.e., bank reconciliations, cash, and investment activities), to ensure accuracy, completeness, and timeliness
- This list is not all-inclusive
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS/DESIGNED SKILLS
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business administration, banking, or a similar field (An equivalent number of years (4) working in accounting in accounts payable, payroll, banking reconciliation, revenue projection, investment management, may substitute on a two-year to one-year basis
- Three (3) years of progressively responsible experience completing a wide range of accounting tasks within a government environment to include revenue, investing, A/P, grants, utility billing/payment, payroll, and employee benefits management – Candidates with government experience are preferred
- Three (3) years working with a computerized accounting system to include bank reconciliation, utility billing, and payroll (preferably in Springbrook or a comparable system)
- Proven success in managing multiple assignments concurrently and meeting critical and time-sensitive deadlines
- Must be competent in using BARS and GAAP Principles
- Must possess a Washington Driver’s License and be insurable
- Maintain and respond to internal and external customers in a professional manner in accordance with City policy and Guiding Principles
- Must be able to communicate verbally and in writing clearly and concisely
- Must be able to complete a background investigation, including a check of credit history
ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The physical demands of the position include:
- Sit for extended periods viewing a computer screen, entering data into Springbrook (or similar computerized accounting system)
- Operate standard office equipment, including large printers/copiers and an electronic mailer
- The City campus covers a 3-4 block radius. An employee must walk to another city building or be mobile enough under their own power to get to another city building. Additional physical demands include standing, reaching, and bending down to retrieve information from files or retrieve documents in boxes on the floor
- Occasionally needs to drive a vehicle in the City, within the county, or throughout the state to attend work-related conferences or meetings
The essential functions/major responsibilities listed below are intended only as examples of the type of work performed by this position. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from this position.
Apply: Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com